Chief of Party
Tanzania National and Local Government Authority Health Systems Strengthening
RTI International is seeking Chief of Party (COP) candidates for an anticipated USAID-funded
national health systems strengthening project in Tanzania. The purpose of this project is to
strengthen the health care system, largely focusing on the public sector, at the national and local
government authority level. Specifically, efforts will focus on improving governance, finance, human
resources for health, and information components of the health system. The Chief of Party provides
technical leadership and managerial oversight for the project, and ensures timely implementation
and reporting of activities. The position will be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
• Provide vision and strategic technical leadership for the project.
• Serve as RTI’s representative to USAID, Government of Tanzania, Ministry of Health and
Social Welfare (MOHSW), Prime Minister’s Office-Regional Administrative and Local
Government (PMO-RALG), President’s Office Public Service Management (PO-PSM),
Ministry of Finance (MOF), Tanzanian Commission for AIDS (TACAIDS), Local Government
Agencies (LGAs), NGOs, FBOs, CBOs and community stakeholders.
• Responsible for ensuring the timely communication with, and reporting to USAID|Tanzania.
• Ensure that the project activities are meeting client and stakeholder expectations and that
project results are proactively disseminated.
• Responsible for addressing contract-related issues, including ensuring that RTI financial
controls and systems comply with generally accepted accounting practices that meet USAID
standards, and that all activity-procured materials and equipment are safeguarded and
prudently and responsibly used.
• Responsible for the overall planning, implementation and management of the project and
for establishing the administrative framework to monitor and assure progress toward the
achievement of the goals and objectives of the project. Ensure the timely and quality
completion of required reports.
• Develop and implement annual program work and performance milestone plans and
negotiate an agreement of those plans with USAID, subcontractors and other stakeholders.
• Responsible for oversight and direction to all long- and short-term personnel under the
• Represent the project on behalf of RTI in regional or key global meetings, consultative
sessions and conferences.
• Masters Degree in Public Health, Health Economics, Health Policy or a related field.
• At least 12 years’ experience managing and leading technical and administrative teams for
complex integrated health projects in Africa. Experience in Tanzania will be preferred.
• Expertise in any of the following technical components of health systems strengthening:
human resources for health, governance, health finance, and/or health management
• Excellent knowledge of national issues impacting health service delivery and demonstrated
success strengthening local strengthening local government institutions.
• Experience working as a COP for USG-funded project is highly desirable with proven
capacity to effectively manage staff and project funds. • Demonstrated professional excellence in health program management including experience
in the following: client relationship management, developing program work plans,
developing program budgets, managing program implementation, and managing technical
• Demonstrated capacity to build and maintain productive working relationships with a wide
network of partners and stakeholders.
• Strong knowledge of USAID administrative, management and reporting procedures and
systems along with strategic program planning, management, supervision, and budgeting
• Must have strong oral and written communication and presentation skills in English (tested
FSI R4/S4). Fluency in Kiswahili will be a significant asset.
• Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite applications.
• Willingness and ability to travel frequently within Tanzania.
TO APPLY: Interested candidates should submit a CV with current contact information via
www.rti.org/job15093. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted. This position is contingent
upon award and funding.
RTI is proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V.